Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Drinking for Holland » Drinking for Holland (US/UK)

Post subject: Emission Stickers For Nurburgring
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 16:13 
Occasional Drinker

Being an American, I am not used to the Holiday schedule here. I booked a flight back to the US for the Indy 500 for May 22nd, but just found out we have the 21st off in the Netherlands because of Ascention Day. Since there is nothing I can do about it now, I need to find something to do that day.

With this in mind, I realize that practice for the 24hrs of Nurburgring begins on the 21st. I am thinking about driving up there for the day so that I can take pictures (there aren't any other races to the best of my knowledge on the Nordschleife while I am here, so I feel I should try to tack advantage of this chance). However, I know Germany has laws about emission stickers and that (from what I have heard) they are only applicable to certain cities. Can someone verify for me if I need a sticker to get to/park in Nurburg?

Also, can someone tell me if you can walk around the Nordschleife like you can Spa?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 21:40 
full addict

Petrol engines are OK, only if you have a R15 TDI or a 908 HDI FAP you need one.

;D

Just kidding. Stickers are only needed in certain city centers, like Cologne. Nürburgring is OK

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 08:14 
Occasional Drinker

Ok, so just to clarify. From what I was reading on the net last night, it seemed like there were certain roads that you couldn't drive through without a sticker. Can someone verify that I would have a clear shot from where I am (use Maastricht as a reference) and the track? Sorry for being repetitive, but I really don't want to break any laws while I am out of the US.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 09:42 
full addict

don't worry, the main roads, or the autobahn, you do not need it! It is meant for city centers, and you won't be near enough to any of them. Besides that, many Germans do not even have the sticker, just us goody two shoes comply to the rules.

Where are you located edzachary? I live about 5 minutes from maastricht in Cadier en Keer.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:21 
Occasional Drinker

At the far edge of Valkenburg near Hulsberg.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 16:53 
full addict

That is relatively close, you work in the military at Nuth?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 18:16 
Occasional Drinker

I'm actually working for Boston Scientific's European Distribution Center in Kerkrade. I'm in the midst of a 13 week internship assignment that ends in the middle of July. So far, I've been having the time of my life with traveling. Spa last week put it over the top.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 16:37 
Occasional Drinker

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go out there on Thursday, but I wanted to ask a couple things. Can someone tell me what I should expect as far as parking goes? Also, does the track have a path around the entire distance (like Spa)? And are there "short-cuts" to get you back to a main area if you no longer wish to walk the entire thing. Its not that I don't want to, I just don't know if I will have the time.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 17:33 
full addict

Parking should be no problem, it's a bernie F1 track, so getting there and parking should be no big deal. Walking the track, I don't know if it is possible. But you can drive to the interesting sections of the track, which makes it less of a hassle to walk around. Ample parking should be available around the whole track.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 21:47 
full addict

check ou the following:

http://www.nuerburgring.de/ADAC-Zurich- ... .20.0.html

There's a little map at the bottom of the page showing the areas where you can camp and watch the track (you can only get to the track in the green areas). Bear in mind that thursday is a bank holiday in Germany and most people take a long weekend off, so it WILL be crowded already.

Biggest problem is the traffic. Because the track is so big (25 km lenght) everyone takes the car to get from one spot to another, the roads are completely blocked. Finding parking however is (almost) alwasy possible by the side of the roads.

These are my experiences from 2 race days, so it mght be better on thursday. Won't be seeing the race this year though, will be acting as late freight to Monaco for the GP :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 02:55 
Drinking for Canada

Yo IRL guy:
A precautionary tip...... most roadways about the circuit have a solid yellow line along the soft shoulder. You must ensure that if you park along a roadway that both front left and rear left tires are inside the yellow line and that your vehicle is fully parked on the soft shoulder. If not, you will be towed. I've seen it happen.

Van

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 09:48 
full addict

Even worse, I've parked threee days in a row on basicly the same spot during Formula1, and on raceday I got towed... Back then (2001) it costed about 200 DM to get my car back.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:24 
Occasional Drinker

hmmm...that definitely makes it better. i assume it would be possible to park at the beginning and ride a bike around it? from the way you make it sounds, there is a spectator loop around the actual one.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 14:39 
full addict

You could do that, but you will have sore muscles the next day, the track winds through the eiffel hills/mountains and has more ups and downs then Spa, bring lots of gatorade :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 14:49 
Occasional Drinker

knetter wrote:
...you will have sore muscles the next day

haha, well I will be on an airplane for about 10 hours the next day, so my muscles will be the least of my concerns.

Board index » Drinking for Holland » Drinking for Holland (US/UK)