Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Drinking for Holland » Drinking for Holland (US/UK)

Post subject: Change of Plans
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 16:43 
Occasional Drinker

After weighing all of my options the last couple weeks, I decided (at least 99% so) not to venture to Le Mans next week. I appreciate everyone's help, but the logistics made it too expensive and difficult given that I could not leave until Friday night. I guess I will have to venture to Europe again some time down the road to take it in.

With this said, I do not want my track travels to come to an end (Spa and Nurburgring were not enough). After sifting through websites, I found out that both Zandvoort and Assen are suppose to be good tracks in the Netherlands. In addition, both have pretty good races while I'm here (Zandvoort with the F3 Masters race the same week as Le Mans and Assen with MotoGP in a few weeks). With the money I am saving by not venturing to Le Mans, I think I might try to go to both these events.

For Zandvoort, I have found that it is about 30 minutes from Amsterdam and that there is a train station about a kilometer from the track. Therefore I am thinking I will take a train there Saturday morning, get a hotel in Amsterdam Sautrday night (for nonracing fun), and go back Sunday. For those of you that have been, do you recommend I buy a paddock seat for Sunday (its like 45 euro vs 15 for general admission). It appears that general admission and paddock are the same on Saturday, so that might be all the paddock I need to experience.

For Assen, it appears the only way to really get there is by car. I would assume I would drive up early the morning of the race and park there. Same question goes as before...is general admission an ok way to go? It appears most reserved seating is already sold out, so GA might be the only option.

In general, the cost is not the issue here (Le Mans just got to be too much). My main objective is to take pictures when I go to these places. Therefore if it is easy to walk around and see the track, general admission would probably be the way for me to go.

As always, I appreciate your help. Also, if you have any other recommendations on tracks close by that you think I should check out, let me know. I wish I could have caught a DTM race, but I missed the one at Zandvoort by like 3 days!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:40 
full addict

OK, so Zandvoort is a cool track and in the dunes right next to the beach. General adm. will get you everywhere on the Saturday, so don't go for the paddock ticket, it doesn't add to the fun. Walking round the track is easy, also good viewing spots from the dunes are plentyfull. Hotel in Amsterdam is of course a good option, specially if you want to inhale the atmosphere in the coffeeshops :wink:

Assen, never been, but I here there is plenty of space to park round the track and it is close to the highway.

Other tracks.

Check out Zolder on the web, nice small track, also the track where Villenueve kicked the bucket so to speak, so lot's of history, they used to have the F1 there. Circuit Zolder

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 17:28 
Occasional Drinker

I'd actually thought about Zolder. Problem is they don't really have that many races. Anyone ever been to the Zolder Race Festival before? From the looks of it, it seems similar to the 24 hours of Nurburgring but obviously much smaller. I see nothing about tickets either...only camping. Its the weekend before I leave, so it could be a possibility.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 19:40 
Meister Zaufer

I honestly think you're a complete idiot not going to Le Mans, specially as you are in Europe now! The alternatives in Zandvoort, Zolder and Assen are OK for spending a hang over Sunday, but they compare in now way with the Le Mans atmosphere.

You are definitely going to regret this choice for the rest of your life. Money is just relative, max your credit card. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 20:50 
Occasional Drinker

Let me be honest, I already regret it. It was more than the money. I don't have any camping stuff here nor know anyone with any. While I'd hoped to meet up with some of you guys, that is still a long trek for a person to do by themselves, supplies or not.

I guess the way I look at it is there is a much greater likelihood of me coming back for Le Mans than any of those other tracks. And trust me...I will be back for Le Mans some day.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 17:05 
full addict

QV wrote:
I honestly think you're a complete idiot not going to Le Mans, specially as you are in Europe now! The alternatives in Zandvoort, Zolder and Assen are OK for spending a hang over Sunday, but they compare in now way with the Le Mans atmosphere.

You are definitely going to regret this choice for the rest of your life. Money is just relative, max your credit card. :)

hear hear!!!

Board index » Drinking for Holland » Drinking for Holland (US/UK)